Family Pics

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Yes, my husband is THE cook!

Austin and I celebrated one year of blissful marriage on the 13th of December, 2009. I seriously can't believe it's already been a year! And maybe I exaggerated a little with the "blissful" part because there have been some moments that weren't so blissful. However, it has been a WONDERFUL year and we have been blessed tremendously. I am so thankful for my wonderful husband and I love him so much!
Speaking of how wonderful my husband is.... We were at a Christmas Eve party at my Grandma Teichert's house and we took Austin's chocolate truffles for our contribution to the goodie table. When word got out that he makes them from scratch, it was also discovered that he does 75% of the cooking in our house. Which leaves me with a meager 25%! I told my astonished family that it is true...he really does do the majority of the cooking in our house. They seemed floored by the fact that there is a Teichert woman that doesn't just rule the kitchen! Don't get me wrong, I CAN and DO cook, but Austin just LOVES it and he is really really good at it. Ladies, I doubt any of you would argue if your husband took over in the kitchen and came up with amazing meals! I certainly don't complain. So...here's the proof....

This is one of my most favorite meals EVER! It's a salmon steak with a salmon "paste" that makes the hasbrowns stick to the steak. Then it is smothered in a lemon tumeric sauce and garnished with chopped green onion stalks. The bread is garlic bread brushed with a balsamic-olive oil mixture, topped with slice tomatoes and parmesean cheese and toasted in the oven. And the corn came from my mom's garden. Our plates are enormous so the presentation looks a little scanty...

Austin is an amazing cook and he loves to make things up. Here are a few of the things he has made for us:
Chicken breasts stuffed with feta, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach; Chicken Pesto Linguine (he got the idea from an amazing Italian restraunt called Maggiano's); Salsbury steaks and rice, Russian Chicken, Fish Tacos, Crepes, Aebleskeever (ebil-skeevers); Tomato Chicken, and several others.
And here's the proof that I do the cleaning! I whip up clean dishes almost as fast as my mom does these days! Oh wait, I have a dishwasher....CHEATER! I could NEVER beat my mom in a dish-doing race. The apron was a gift from my mom's homemade Christmas and I love it! Thanks, Mom!!
I guess you could say that we're not the "typical" family; however, I'm sure that will change when we have children and I'm not in school and working as much. I am also so grateful for a husband who loves me and who loves to share his talents with me!

5 comments:

Taffy and Tony said...

Great job, Austin! I remember the good food you made in Indy. And Vi, I really need that great recipe for the stuffed chicken breasts, if you don't mind. And if Austin wants to whip something up when I come this weekend, I wouldn't complain. :)

Casey and Tami Parry Family said...

Fun post Vi! I keep checking for the update and was excited to see it! All of those dishes sound so good. I might have to hire you guys to come cook some meals for us once in a while. Casey probably deserves a nice home-cooked meak and he rarely gets it from me.

Tina said...

Congrats on the one-year anniversary! You two are SO cute together! I love it! And I am SO impressed with Austin's cooking skills...I'm pretty sure I need some lessons from him!! The dishes he makes sound amazing! Eric is hopeless when it comes to cooking anything but ramens, so count your blessings!! You are one lucky girl!! :)

Triest and Ross said...

HOORAY! I finally found your blog! And uh.... we definitely need to get a few recipes from you guys. Austin and Ross share the love of cooking! I like cooking as well, but I can't whip out a masterpiece without looking at a recipe. And I'll also need to get your Oreo truffle recipe once we've had our weigh-in:) I don't want to tempt myself with the "Heaven in your mouth" goodness quite yet! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

he must get that from his dad...every time i go over he's making something delish!! lucky you:)